Author Topic: SCCA considering offically classing Legends cars for Solo (autocross)  (Read 16021 times)

Offline loosecannon

• My business
Legends cars have always been allowed to autocross but have been classed in AMod or BMod where they are hopelessly outclassed. The SCCA is considering classing them in FMod against F440(snowmobile engines) and Formula V's (Beetle engines) and is looking for feedback on it. I have some Legends and autocross experience and would love to see the two combined. FMod is a good match if Legends cars are allowed to make a few changes.  I would suggest that they allow any stock, production, naturally aspirated motorcycle engine with 2 valves limited to 1300cc, 4 valves limited to 1100cc. Also, I would let them run any tire on wheels up to 10" wide and be allowed to run a limited slip differentials. Send your letters of support to mac@scca.com and hopefully we will have one more place to run Legends cars.

"Speed has never killed anyone-suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you" -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline loosecannon

• My business
Re: SCCA considering offically classing Legends cars for Solo (autocross)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 12:43:20 pm »
Aren't any of you guys interested in autocrossing your cars?  It's a great way to introduce your kid or wife to Legends racing because it's not wheel to wheel, you're racing the clock. Here's a video of one autocrossing in San Diego:
"Speed has never killed anyone-suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you" -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 12:01:31 am »
I did autocross in the past with my daily drivers and had a lot of fun.  At some point (like after I replace my motor) I might take it out for a spin at a local autocross.  If I do it will be more for fun, so would not be spending the money on slicks or any other upgrades if they were approved.  If they are in a class of their own, I would think that you would get more cars by keeping as close the the INEX rules as possible.   

Offline loosecannon

• My business
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 10:53:14 am »
I did autocross in the past with my daily drivers and had a lot of fun.  At some point (like after I replace my motor) I might take it out for a spin at a local autocross.  If I do it will be more for fun, so would not be spending the money on slicks or any other upgrades if they were approved.  If they are in a class of their own, I would think that you would get more cars by keeping as close the the INEX rules as possible.   

It wouldn't be a class of their own, they would be sharing it with F440, F500 and Formula V's, all of which run slicks. If the permitted mods are limited to wheels, tires and shocks, it will keep costs very low for those wanting to compete at the SCCA Nationals in their Legends car. For people wanting to compete only at a local level, they could run their cars as is and have a good time. Maybe this proposal won't affect most racers but for people like me (who really want to run Legends in autocross) it makes it possible for me to compete directly with others and not come in DFL.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 04:25:57 pm »
I will be autocrossing with my car when I get it finished.
There are a few folks here on the site that run their Legends cars in SCCA.
Be sure to keep us up to date on your season, and any rules that come up.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline loosecannon

• My business
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 08:35:56 pm »
I will be autocrossing with my car when I get it finished.
There are a few folks here on the site that run their Legends cars in SCCA.
Be sure to keep us up to date on your season, and any rules that come up.

Steve

That's awesome, now get those other guys to write a letter of support to seb@scca.com so we can make this thing happen :)

Offline loosecannon

• My business
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 04:54:49 pm »
The proposal is back in the latest issue of Fastrack and the SCCA is looking for feedback. Send letters to seb@scca.com

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 06:10:42 pm »
I would suggest that they allow any stock, production, naturally aspirated motorcycle engine with 2 valves limited to 1300cc, 4 valves limited to 1100cc.

If these are the modifications that are proposed all Legends cars would be illegal. The engines currently used are up to 1250cc and are a four valve engine. If that is the case, there probably won't be anyone changing the engine to come and autocross.
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline loosecannon

• My business
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 12:25:20 pm »
The proposal has been revised and currently the only mods recommended would be wheels/tires/shocks to make the cars more suitable for autocross.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Local club was actually clueless about Legends Cars and/ or what class to place them in.
I think we have it worked out that I can be placed in FMod. Since I am the only local racer wanting to enter a Dwarf Car, they weren't really sure what to do with me.
I do know that one of our members here on the site that runs Legends Cars petitioned the SCCA ( I believe last year) to run Hoosier tires and got the OK.

For giggles, thought you autocross folks would enjoy this:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Autocross

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline 665AlmostEvil

• Legends of the Southwest
Just clicked on that Autocross link Steve and that was hilarious!!!

anything