Author Topic: Tread cutting machine  (Read 11187 times)

Offline JGRacing

Tread cutting machine
« on: August 10, 2007, 04:35:53 pm »
Probably another dumb question, but has anyone tried to make a tire tread cutting machine on their own?  I do not think that it would overly difficult to come up with something, but not sure how consistent a home built contraption would be.     

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Tread cutting machine
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 01:06:09 pm »
Hi John,

You can buy one from somewhere like Speedway Motors pretty reasonable.  http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/399,,_Tru-Hot-Grooving-Iron.html?itemNo=tire%20grooving%20iron

I don't have any experience with them, as I've always raced pavement. You'll  want to check the tire rules to see what is legal. I imagine you can trash a lot of tires while your learning about tread design. Check out what others are doing and ask LOTS of questions.

Hope that helps some.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 07:51:24 pm »
Hey Steve,

I don't think that will work for the Ledgend cars, the tires need to be cut ( shaved ) not grooved..... I think the machine looks something like tire speed balancer.

Later,
Al
POW/MIA - YOU ARE LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN IN SOUTHEAST ASIA

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 03:22:46 am »
has anyone tried to make a tire tread cutting machine ?

I assumed by "tire tread cutting machine"  he meant grooving iron. Usually used for dirt track.  ???
If he is talking about shaving the tire; I believe the term is Cutting or Sipeing; Speedway sells a Siper.
I believe Ol'Dawg cuts tires. I'll see if I can locate his site.
I think I remember reading something years back about sipeing tires, but don't recall where. (Maybe "Circle Track")
I've read posts from some of the kart guys "Feathering" their tires with a grinder.

I think you would be right Al, about using some sort of machine to turn the tire. Sort of like turning a piece of wood (or metal) on a lathe.

I'll see what I can find out.

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 03:29:35 am »
Try this:
http://www.oledawgracing.com/

And this:
http://littleracecars.com/

Is this what you need to know John?

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 04:41:22 am »

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 12:44:47 pm »
Sorry about the terminology.  I was thinking cutting (shaving) as far as how it sounds like alot of the asphalt racers are camber cutting the tires (shaving).  It looks like siping and grooving are illegal according to the rule book.  I am just wondering how hard it would be to make some sort of gadget to shave the tires without having to spend the money for someone else to do it.  Refreshing tires is pretty easy to do with a belt sander or angle grinder (only taking off a thin layer of the tread to expose the softer rubber for anyone who has not tried it), but was not sure about making something more exact to shave camber into the tire.  I saw a real one (not home built) on E-bay a couple of months ago and it looked like a fairly simple machine.       

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 04:24:04 am »
Hi John,

I wasn't sure where you were headed.         SORRY!!!  :-[ :-[ :-[

I still think that Al has the right idea. You would need some sort of lathe (???;  for lack of a better term) to turn the tire; and shave it down. You would just be cutting on an angle. Speed, cutting tool, angle ... would all be factors you would have to consider.

Ask, or check with Ol' Dawg. Google a search.  :-\
I think you are right - it would't be that hard to build one; but time vs expense, space, etc...  I don't even have a garage right now. Space is my downfall.

I don't really know what else to say! If you figure out a way; I'm sure that you will be real busy!!!

Steve

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 02:41:02 pm »
I found a site that sells the tire cutting (or as they call them truing) machines.  Sort of interesting, but looks like it would be tough to build something similar. 

http://www.amermac.com/truers.html

I would imagine that with racers involved, someone has tried to build something to do this in their garage.  If anyone comes across something, please make sure to post it on here.  The thread about the car lifts is what got me thinking about what other large, backyard engineered, potentially dangerous gadgets I could try to build myself.  :)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 04:28:04 pm »

I still don't see why it can't be done. It looks intimidating; but they even make it in a portable model.
I looked into it a bit further - Check with your local tire shops. I should have saved that old thread. Pricewise, it was only like $10.00 per tire (not sure that invoved angle cutting for camber); but would that make a difference??? Maybe a guy could talk the local tire shop into doing it for sponsorship? A little advertising goes a long way.

I've got a couple days off. I'll try to find where I found that thread and post it.
I know that I don't have the room for something like that large. I don't even have a garage! :-[
Maybe someone has a better idea? Doesn't hurt to pose the question!

Keep workin' at it.

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 11:50:28 am »
There is a tire cutting machine for $1500 @

http://www.montanaracewaypark.com/

Steve