Author Topic: Rod Bearing Selection  (Read 8118 times)

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
Rod Bearing Selection
« on: August 09, 2007, 09:41:35 pm »
The rods in my engine no longer have the code 3 or 4 on them.  I have some new, "prepped rods" that I want to use, but they do not have codes on them either.  The codes on the crank for the rod journals are all 2's

The rod bores for the rods I took out of the engine each have a bore size of 1.615" (without bearings) and they have the "black" bearings which makes them #4 rods.   However, they are not round and are 1.616" at their largest point.

The bores of the new rods all measure 1.6145" and are round.

I'm thinking that the used rods could very well have opened up a half thou, but since the bearings are not cheap, I don't want to order the wrong bearings.  And spec clearances only give me a half thousandth margin.

So here is my question.  Does anyone know what the bore diameter of a #3 rod and a #4 rod should be? 

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
Re: Rod Bearing Selection
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 05:39:24 pm »
I can't believe I've stumped y'all!   ;D

I'm going to order a few different sized sets and measure them.  Maybe I can come up with some useful info for some of you.

Offline gramps05

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 07:37:18 am »
Went through all my books and information I have and no where is that info to be found. I myself will be waiting to see what you come up with so I can add it to my notes.

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 06:23:18 pm »
The only measurement I know right now is oil clearance listed in my Hayes manual .  And that even has a typo...it says .017 to .040 mm (.0017" to .0016")  .017mm is .0007", not .0017"

So connecting rod oil clearance should be .0007" to .0016"  That is seriously tight clearance.  But they recommend checking the measurement with plastigauge, which is crude.  I'd rather measure with a mic and a dial-bore gauge.

I am getting the codes to a brand new crank and its' corresponding measurements.  That will help with deciphering that side of the code.

I have learned the difference between 1200 and 1250 rods.  The 1250's have more meat around the wrist pin.  Rules say that you can't use a 1250 rod in a 1200 engine... ???

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 08:44:50 pm »
From a new crank, the main journals measure 1.417 across all 5, and the rod journals measure 1.496 across all 4.

The code on the crank is  2 1 2 1 2 1 1 1 1

The first 5 digits left to right represent the main journals 1-5 and the last four digits represent the rod journals 1-4

There is obviously a problem with the man's measurements (probably not precise enough) since the first 5 code numbers are not all the same while the measurements he took across all five journals is 1.417.

Still, it is more information...I will have mine ready to measure tomorrow and I'll post my findings.

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 09:21:59 pm »
The code on my crank is 222232222

The crank rod journals all measure 1.4953"

The crank main journals measure 1.4168" except the far right side is 1.4166"

I will double check the calibration of my micrometer tomorrow with a standard.  At least I know that all the journals are +/- a tenth of being round.

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 04:01:27 pm »
I calibrated my mic and it was reading .0003" small, so I have adjusted my measurements above.

I ordered 3 different rod bearing sizes today and should have them in about a week.  That will allow me to take further measurements and come up with the final pieces to the puzzle.  When finished, I'll put it all in a chart and post it here.

I'm posting the info as I go along just in case someonesees where I may have dropped the ball.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 04:15:35 am »
Hi Tom,
 How's that engine coming along?

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 06:36:42 pm »
I had to order the parts and test bearings.  I got an email from UPS with a tracking number today.  ETA 8/23.

However, we have this big race at our track on the 9/1, and I have to get ready for that, so it will be a while before I finish.

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 11:42:38 pm »
OK Tom, so now you have me curious...  What was the final outcome?  You wrote that you'd put it all in a chart and post it...  Did you? 

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 11:10:50 am »
Nope,  The kid started doing good and my focus went to making sure he won the track championship.  Then I got burnt out and now it is all stored away until I feel like messing with it again.  I'm probably just going to sell it because I have decided to stick with the sealed engine.  The sealed engine did just fine, and I won't be going home from the track with my engine in a box if we go to Atlanta or Charlotte this year.  The changes I will have to make to the car, along with the changes I want to make to the car will have me tied up for both money and time.

anything