Author Topic: fuel  (Read 17480 times)

Offline 665AlmostEvil

• Legends of the Southwest
Re: fuel
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 11:40:35 am »
Lots of good posts and info here......

What I run in my car and my dads is a mix od 114 and 93 (that's the highest we can get here. We mix it 1 part to 4 parts and really the only reason we run the 114 is for the lead. It helps coat the valve seats which is a typical failure on these motors. My dad has 2 seasons on his sealed 1250 Bullet and I had a season on my 1200, had it taken apart and it was in perfect order.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 03:51:59 pm »
That's why a lot of folks run the lube for the upper end in their fuel. As hot as those pipes are getting, I am thinking that he is going to cook this engine.

As Jim said... Likely too rich. This should show up as black sooty deposits on the plugs. Still sounds like jets are too large and timing is advanced too much. Octane is likey not going to make or break you. 93 - 98 octane rating should work fine.

I don't have the specific specs for the FJ and XJ engines as I don't have a book. Perhaps someone can post them or you can look them up online.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline llbuckshotll

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 05:33:25 pm »
Ok so it looks like I have slotted can gears. CA. Anyone tell me how to check the current timing and which direction I should adjust the gears. Intake and exhaust?

Offline llbuckshotll

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 05:49:00 pm »
spark plug pictures here. Theres only about 10 mins of run time on these too.

http://www.bksmotorsports.com/pictures

Offline llbuckshotll

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 06:32:42 pm »
So it appears to have been timing. The bolts on the cam gears appear to have been maxed out in 1 direction. Also it looks as if they may of slipped from the previous position. I've moved them to the other side (maxed out) and the glow is gone. Also the popping is gone as well. Ive manged to dig up the timing instructions that came with the red box ignition. It seems impossible to get to the case with the motor in the car so I guess ill have to send it for now and check the timing at a later date.

Thanks again for all the help guys

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 09:55:14 pm »
The trap door in the firewall gives access to the pick up.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 10:16:05 pm »
Any fuel mixture that exceeds 95-98 octane is a waste of money. These are 10:1 (approx) engines, they can not burn the fuel off through combustion.  Secondly if your exhaust is glowing I suggest you have someone that knows what they are doing look at the car, you are about to cook an expensive motor. I suggest the valves be adjusted, compression check, leak down and have the timing adjusted and set properly. The motor is so expensive, it would be a shame to damage it.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 10:20:34 pm »
What Dennis said on the octane.
Also, Note the dark sooty stuff on your plugs. Running rich. I am sure that the timing fix will help though. Glad you found that problem!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

anything