Author Topic: Costs of Racing  (Read 18652 times)

Offline Openwheeler37

• Grant Greenfield Racing
Re: Costs of Racing
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 11:35:10 am »
LOL .... We doin the hard charger award again ... I might have a shot at it lol
Racing is a matter of spirit not strength

www.greenfieldracing37.piczo.com

You see that?....That just happened!

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 11:37:32 am »
Haven't decided yet...All the money is going into the cars right now, and Jeff's sponsorship. Also sponsoring Mark Ritgers Figure 8 car
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Gimpster

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 12:35:08 pm »
I would have to disagree on the dirt costing more than asphalt though. 3 of my 4 tires on the car at this momoent look like new and still durometer between 58-60 after 40 shows. RR is 24 shows old and is still a perfect 58. While the dirt may tear up more fiberglass on a consisten basis (depending on who you are racing with), the tire cost alone on asphalt is much higher

LOL, can tell I don't run asphalt.... overlooking the cost of tires !

----- Gimp -----

Gimpster

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 12:59:42 pm »
Dang gimpster after reading that makes me want to sale my 2 cars............. lol not................wow you sure have had good luck.

Actual number of races per wrecks, we had good luck. Normal week of racing for us is at least 3 nights per week starting in the end of May ending in September. ND tracks in Underwood, Mandan, Minot and Wishek are the normal. We have also done shows in Grand Forks, Rugby, Dickinson ND, and Rapid City SD. My little string of wrecks listed happened over the coarse of 4 seasons.
 Wanna talk spendy ? We could change topic to what it cost to run a season in a Mini-Sprint..... Whew !! LMAO

----- Gimpster -----

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 01:15:37 pm »
Most of the asphalt guys I've talked to change tires every 3-4 nights. That'd be $500 per week for you Gimpster!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline thunder938

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 07:12:14 pm »
I run pavement and got 15 nights on my tires...now that being said the real fast guys may put on a set , or just the right sides, 1/2 way through the season. 
Dave

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 07:19:19 pm »
Thats great that you're with a group that doesnt go crazy and throw $$ away on tires. Unfortunately, thats not the case everywhere
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 11:53:32 am »
If you start with a good used or new car, you will save in the long run.  I got my used car from a dealer that was less than honest about the condition and spent as much getting it up and going as I would have to buy a new one.  After having to get the motor rebuilt before I could even race it, it blew after 5 races.  As unhappy as I was about the engine blowing, a new motor in a legends car costs a fraction of what a modified motor costs.  Ask around about dealers or used cars before you spend the money.  There are some really good people in this sport that will be able to get you pointed in the right direction.         

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 12:16:06 pm »
Very true about the motors. There are people who have spent alot of money paying other to build their engines, when they could have gotten a brand new 1250 for alot less. If you're not going to do the majority of your own engine work, a 1250 is probably your best bet in the long run. Thats why I moved my engine work in house...would have gone broke getting them built!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Gimpster

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 02:12:39 pm »
Most of the asphalt guys I've talked to change tires every 3-4 nights. That'd be $500 per week for you Gimpster!

Whew ! That makes a person think. Hoping to get by with 3 sets of them myself this season. If the weather pattern follows through the summer like all the snow we have recieved this winter, I don't forsee a lot of dry slick runs through the coarse of the season like we have endured in the past.  That will save on the tire bill.  2 sets for around here and 1 fresh set in case we make it to the nationals is what I am set up with so far.

~ G ~

anything