Author Topic: Oil filters  (Read 10847 times)

Offline JGRacing

Oil filters
« on: November 19, 2009, 10:34:53 am »
The other topic regarding blown motors made me think about what I have on my car.  What does everyone think about the re-usable inline filters.  The one that came on my car seems to have a good amount of filter surface, but after blowing my motor 5 races after a rebuild, I am looking at everything.  Also, my lines going from the filter to the cooler and back are 10AN.  Am I loosing anything besides a little extra weight by having the bigger lines?  My oil pressure was always good.

If I go to the Texas style filter mount on the back of the motor, am I going to have cooling issues by only using those small ports coming off of the side of the motor?   

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
Re: Oil filters
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 03:01:46 pm »
I am a big fan of the the Texas adapter on the motor.  This is cloder to the way Yamaha designed it.  The bikes had one cooler and a filter on the back of the motor.  Yamaha pays big money to its techs for a reason.  The remote systems put more strain on the oiling system than was intented.  The one thing to keep in mind is how clean the flow of oil is.  We had a racer this year loose a motor while breaking it in.  It was found out later that there was  a plugged line in his oiler cooler set up.  He was running the two smaller Setrabs connected by the way.  When changing your motor or anything over make sure you clean out the lines and the cooler really well.  The best setup I have seen so far is the tall 3 pass Setrab with the taxas adapter and a really good spin on filter.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 04:33:27 pm »
John,

I still use the Oberg filter on all my race cars. I like the ease of checking the screen for particles, etc...

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 05:32:59 pm »
Hank Scott has a new version of the Texas style filter, which will be on all 3 of my motors.
In response to RickyBobbys comment on the oil cooler, I would personally go with a smaller cooler, like the Setrab 920. It is lower and wider, allowing more air to cool the air cooled engine. This is also the cooler that the Setrab engineer I spoke at length with recommended to 600 for the Legends cars, but they decided to go with a more inexpensive cooler.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 11:27:50 am »
Just to make sure I understand, the Texas adapter does not not have lines that go out to a cooler, does it?  You would just be running the smaller lines off of the left side of the motor?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 11:35:19 am »
Hank Scotts does, I believe
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 11:49:07 am »
The texas style adapter from 600 does not have lines coming out.  It allows an automotive spin on filter on the back of the motor.  Works well.  I have not seen the Hank Scott version and his stuff is usually very good but I would think an extra set of lines coming off the back of the motor would not be needed at all.

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 12:18:09 pm »
Hanks system uses the adapter plate in place of the oil filter and has lines coming off to his remote filter, oil cooler, and pan.  That setup is highly recommended by Hank and my engine builder.  It raises oil pressure and cools more efficiantly than any of the other systems.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 03:19:13 pm »
Has anyone had issues with cooling on the Texas style adapter?  Sounds like a good option, but that is the part the concerns me.   

Offline Racinjj

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 03:22:40 pm »
I ran the Texas style without an issue temp wise.  Its a good option but I would switch to Hanks new system if you want the best.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 10:55:49 am »
Wanted to pass along something on the 10AN lines.  I e-mailed Hank Scott about the new filter system and about 10 AN lines.  I was told not to use 10AN and stick to 8.  Also, that new filter setup sounds pretty good.  Think I will ask for one from Santa.  Anyone in the market for 10AN lines or an inline filter?  I happen to have some for sale.  ;) 

Offline thunder938

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 11:06:31 am »
I run 2 coolers and have -8 on the lower psi side and -10 on the high psi side from the back of the motor.  No problems in years.
Dave

Offline Racinjj

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 02:32:48 pm »
Why would you run -10 lines?  That increases volume but reduces pressure in the system.  The -8 seems to be the happy medium between the 6 and 10.  I used -10 lines on my late model and their was a lot more pressure and volume in that system I can only imagine what that would do to these motorcycle engines.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Offline thunder938

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 02:39:56 pm »
that was what the "puck" was set up for when I got the car.  Also the high psi side is around 70 psi and most builders shim that up to more, so psi is not a problem.  -8 or -10 does not effect psi much.  Now saying that I have had no problems and am not changing it, Hank is a great engine guy.
Dave

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 03:27:36 pm »
I pretty much ran the setup that came on the car that came with the 10AN lines, but will be switching them after this.  Maybe it was not part of what caused my engine to blow, but I just want to get as many details in my favor when I do this again.  Cannot afford to loose another engine after 5 races.