Author Topic: front brakes  (Read 60740 times)

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
front brakes
« on: September 10, 2009, 12:46:05 am »
New to Bandolero:  Purchased used bandloero and going thru check list on what to replace,what needs to be rpaired.  First-why does the bando not have front brakes--Second front suspention( there is none)--Chain tenioner there is none--The small things make a good race car the bando has Great engine ,excellent roll cage and good rear suspention.  Are any of the above optional equipment in future are available now? Preparing for 2010 season with my grandson.  I will have many questions  and will apreciate any and all help.  Thanks Tim Worthy

Offline ruracin61

• Cars R My Stars
    • 61 racing
Re: front brakes
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 01:16:04 pm »
No front suspension and no front brakes. The front A-arms take a lot of beating! Some tracks are very hard on the driver cause of the bumps and you are so low to the ground. ;D
! Cars R My Stars !
 http://61racing.webs.com/
61 racing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 11:02:59 pm »
Why don't racers, owners, pertition INEX for changes that allow the use of front brakes and suspention?  It makes the bando SAFER , let alone SALES of extra parts for INEX It's a win win for everyone.  An option for 2010, optional equipment 2011,standard equipment 2012. The  Bando is a great race car and it's potential is unlimited for young racers!!  LET'S GET THINGS MOVING

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 10:51:30 am »
It's pretty hard to get INEX to approve anything. I won't argue that it would be a much better deal. Trying to get a lot of people together and agree on the safest and cheapest way to do it is a whole 'nother story. Do a little research, come up with a few solutions and pitch the idea to INEX.
Best Of Luck!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 07:17:31 pm »
Welcome to the Bando world.  I hope you find Bandos as rewarding as my son and I have!

Here is one opinion:

These cars are not perferct, but they do allow our young drivers to compete and learn.  I think the cars do not have front suspension or brakes to keep the cost down,  and also to keep the speeds down.   The cars have only 150 total parts,  keeping tem simple makes them more attractive to racing newcomers.

These kids today are driving these cars far faster than they were originally designed for.  The skill  level continues to rise.  If they had suspension and brakes it would further widen the seed gap between the new drivers and experienced drivers , compromising safety.

For basic Bando information you can go to http://www.bandostuff.com.html  and download a free buyers guide.  There is also a 118 page book for sale providing information and insight to Bando racing.
For all your Langacre & HANS needs-www.bandostuff.com

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 11:44:10 am »
Ed,  I enjoyed reading your email.  Your concerns about safety and cost are founded, driver experience and skill level s are driving the speeds UP and beyond design of the Bando.  The Bando is due for an upgrade, front brakes and suspension will make the Bando driveable.  Speed is governed by the motor, gears, and drag.  The motor has more power than needed in the Bandit class, the Young Guns want more power.  The Bando class is divided, Young Guns and Bandits, the problem as I see it are the tracks, and race promoters, they are combining both classes to increase car count.  I personally know of two kids and parents that bought Bando's only to put them up for sale after one (1) race.  One wrecked, and the other just pitted.  I got a very good deal!!!! After I got the car home, I went through the car, thus my concerns for my grandson's safety.  Fifty years of racing stock cars ,I could not believe the way the Bando was built (Cheap) not inexpensive.  As stated, it needs to be updated.  Maybe  the folks at INEX will wake up.  Enough venting, we plan to run a limited schedule in 2010 with the Bando and continue with our dirt racing program. We will need a hans device (extra small) .  We hope to begin testing in October. Thanks for the information and listening to my opinion.

T.Worthy

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 10:18:07 pm »
Up date: Front Brakes and suspension STANDARDS EQUIPMENT since 2003 Mini Cup Cars.  Wonder what INEX's excuse is now??

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 09:20:03 am »
I do not belive that Darrell Krentz or Scott Reinhardt frequent this board.
You should call them directly if you would really like to discuss something.
Darrell (704)455-3906, ext. 230
Scott (704)455-3906, ext. 225
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline romans81racing

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 03:28:19 pm »
i don't agree with the changes that are being discussed.  The bando is a learning class and adding  more parts complicates the scenario.  Braking is a thing to be avoided in this class.  Legends is a good step up for good bando drivers.  Our bandos are actually close to our legends in speed and we have 12 year olds running in that class.

Offline nosted

• Have fun!Go fast! TURN LEFT!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 12:15:45 pm »
Well i've been racing these cars for a year now,and i think they are a great starting point. Short weelbase high power to weight raitio and fun to drive , although i agree they have many faults. BUT the rate of wich they are wrecked by idiotic 8 year olds,Although they (for me)are easy to drive, im not from a racing breed, but parents that race treat their kids like dirt and give them a car that IS IMPOSIBLE TO DRIVE, as well as the fact that nobody is attempting to coach these kids. So The only thing adding front suspension would do is make wrecking happen at faster speeds making it even more crazy dangerous I dont think they need that

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 01:22:17 am »
Teddy,

Wow haven't seen this thread posted on for quite awhile!

I don't think it is a fair statement to generalize that the "parents that race treat their kids like dirt and give them a car that IS IMPOSIBLE TO DRIVE, as well as the fact that nobody is attempting to coach these kids."  I know for fact that your parents put a lot of time and effort into your introduction to racing. You did well last year because of their efforts as well as your own. It may be true of SOME Parents. Many of our Bando members get plenty of support and instruction from their parents. With that said, I'll get back on thread.

Because of the weight and power ratio of the Bando car, better suspension and brakes would make the car easier to drive. The Bando car is a transition from karts to Legends (or whatever class one decides to move up to). Better braking (ie: front brakes) would aide stopping ability and, hopefully, fewer wrecks. Better suspension for the front end would aide in a better handling car. I will stick with my statement that this is a transitional, or learning, class, and should be kept simple and relatively cheap. (Not that racing and cheap should even be in the same sentence. Sorry for the oxymoron!) Read the thread carefully and you will see that most do think that suspension and front brakes would be helpful to a better handling car.  As it IS a transitional class, most drivers do not stay in the class for very long. So trying to keep costs down is a good plan.

Can the cars be improved?  Sure!
Should they? Perhaps. I do think that upgrades can be made that would still keep the cars relativley inexpensive and easy to set up and drive.

My .02 for what it's worth.

Steve

Offline knoxracing

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 09:09:13 am »
Many people feel the Legend Car is getting too expensive and way too hard to get a handle on as newer better components keep being added to the car. The Bando is simple and is a beginner car. This allows parents that are not as skillful as others to learn how to do basic adjustments as they go. Adding brakes and suspension would turn it into what it was not designed for. The Bando is already border line too fast for the design, adding cost and the need for more knowledge is not what the bando is about and I don not think these changes are a good idea.
DENNIS KNOX
Buckeye Legends
Official USLC Dealer - Ohio
330-310-9212

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 07:42:42 pm »
Ancient thread... But still on some peoples minds. I have to somewhat disagree with Dennis...
Yes, it is not the original design for the car. It would be a part in making the cars safer at the speeds they are turning with this half go kart/ half race cars.
Very true that it would add to the cost! Some tracks run restictor plates, or have gear rules, to try to slow the cars. I would like to see 4 wheel brakes and full suspension; And use these cars as a true crossover into the Legends Cars. Lots of young kids jumping straight into Legends Cars vs Bando right out of go karts.
My thoughts from the past 7 years.

Steve

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 07:52:36 am »
You can always tell when you have a go kart kid behind you on a start. He is the one that is wearing you bumper out down the back straight away before green.  ;)
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline racertoms27

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 10:39:37 am »
You can always tell when you have a go kart kid behind you on a start. He is the one that is wearing you bumper out down the back straight away before green.  ;)
I wish there was a "Like" button for this!

anything