Author Topic: What spark plug are you using?  (Read 24680 times)

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
Re: What spark plug are you using?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 09:35:57 am »
ok so since the season is over.  Who switch from the JR9c's and found something that worked better or worse and why.

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 09:46:33 am »
What should the gap be for the NGKJR9C?
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 12:44:56 pm »
I use the E3
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline dirtracer68

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 11:00:01 am »
Which E3 plug do you use and have you seen an improvement with it?

Gimpster

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 01:04:07 pm »
 I plea the 5th on the E3 plugs. Have gotten into heated debates more than once over them and don't want to bash out the techno on here.
Electricity still follows one path

~G~

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 06:40:34 pm »

Ive used all the NGK's, I prefer the E3 just because it seems to last me longest.
Performance isn't my issue, it's longevity
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline canabl

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 08:13:38 pm »
My car came with the NGK R that has dual electrode earth (not sure of the part number). Ran the jr9c that come with the new motor but going to give the e3 a run on the dyno in weeks to come and compare. pulled the plugs out after my last race and they only seemed to show colour on one side of the plug opposed to the dual electrode that had an even burn all round, we got a full season of 18 shows (two heats and a 15 lap feature) with no problems out of the ngks. Thats running a 98 octane premium fuel here in Australia, would use 8 litres the whole night.

Online justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 10:21:39 pm »
I run NGK's in all my 4 cylinder engines (including my street vehicle). Never in 201,000 miles have we had an issue with plugs.
My V-6  and V-8 vehicles, I use Champion plugs. Just my preference. Works for me.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 11:01:53 pm »
I've been using the NGK Iridium plugs in all my Legends engines, never had a problem and never had to change one yet.... :)
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Gimpster

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 11:52:26 pm »
Pretty much every engine manufacturer I have gone through technical training with (Honda, Kawasaki, Bombardier, Yamaha, Mercury as well as their marine platforms) have recommended NGK pugs. Basic foundation for their engineers recommendation.. as well as the companies heat range tunability to their engines.. is the titanium construction of the metal end of the spark plug (threads and exposed portion of the spark plug). NGK  was one of the first to adapt it to their spark plugs. Aluminum engine heads, especially air cooled, see severe temperature changes. These changes in the long run act like blow torch welding of metals together. Issues with other spark plugs welding themselves into the head are not seen with NGK plugs. Since the days of aluminum automobile engines and fuel injection system advancements as well as raised exhaust temps, many of the spark plug manufacturers have followed suit as titanium coating of plastics, ceramics and metals has advanced and adapted in fuel/exhaust systems components in the high temp aspects of engines and performance. Quite a few of the spark plug manufacturers have stepped up to this technology as result of the fuel crunch of making low octane fuels burn in the combustion engines require more heat. They have tried to 'reinvent the wheel' by theoretically adapting more electrodes , tip coatings, other thickness of electrode wire and center fire plugs to keep up with the heat needed in low octane high heat fuel economy engines. I have been sold on NGK's since the get go because no anti-seize is needed on their spark plug threads since the beginning of time. Plain and simple, their construction of the basic spark plug well surpassed any and all manufacturer demands before even threaded into the head. I'm not trying to push NGKs on anyone but have torn apart spark plugs abilities and drilled manufacturer engineers with questions over the decades I have been in the field. I'm not an expert, heck, I still stand behind single electrode plugs as well as indexing them for more performance. Anything else hanging off the tip of a spark plug inside the combustion chamber is to me ether a heat sink or a potential problem in combustion direction or accelerated cause for further part failure in the long run (Uneven combustion, hot spots, cold spots). Not taking pot shots at anyone, just stating my old school proven theories that have stood the test of time... besides, I really don't care what you stick in your weed eater for a spark plug.. I know what I install in my engines !! LOL ( and I most likely can't be swayed from my thinking on this one)

~Gimpster~

Online justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 11:58:44 pm »
Well said Gimpster!
I am with you on the tried and true.
Old School? Perhaps. But it has worked for me.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Gimpster

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 12:09:23 am »
Yes, old school.. tried and true. If you look at many application charts for other brands of spark plugs, you will see one heat range of theirs cover 2 or 3 heat ranges  of the NGK.  NGK is more precise... Man can I tell war stories of stock units that have came in with Champions, Autolites or AC Delco plugs in them that have had major engine component failure from the wrong spark plug in it but their application covered that particular unit. Detonation kills...

~Gimp~

Offline AKRACER

• speed
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 01:41:26 pm »
ngk for me i have tired other plugs some that cost upwards of 15 per plug now back to the 2 prong ngks

Offline djracing

• Global Moderator
    • DJ Ross Racing
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2013, 09:31:47 pm »
jr9c :)